Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mes journées à thème

Maybe it's just me, but it seems as though every day of our lives is connected through a theme.

When I say "theme" I mean it in a very broad sense:

A  number you keep seeing.

A repeating word.

A sign.

A philosophy.

A moral.

Almost all my days seem to have underlying themes lately, and it is both distracting and intriguing. For example, for the past two days the theme has been existentialism. For those who are not familiar with the concept, it is a philosophical term to describe one who is in a disoriented state of confusion and is questioning both the boundaries of human institutions and the meaning that their existence serves.

The first time the idea existentialism was aroused in my mind was the evening of October 12th. After reading a Albert Camu's novel, The Plague, I engaged in a heated debate with my English teacher and two other conflicted students. All of us had different interpretations of the book and clashing beliefs on the meaning of life.

The second day, October 13th, yet another girl confronted me about her dissatisfaction with her purpose in the world. Sadly, I could not appease her.

Similar to the existential philosophy, I find myself questioning the purpose behind the themes I keep encountering; am I meant to uncover them, or by identifying their existence am I annihilating their value?

In any case, these new daily themes have sure been a thought-provoking discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment